Medical Tourism Guatemala –a.k.a. Spa-Med-Holiday- was started in 2007 by Cecile Billiet, a pioneer for medical travel and wellness vacations in Guatemala. Cecile is a member founder of Guatemala’s Health & Wellness Tourism Commission at Agexport (Guatemala’s Exporters’ Association). She is also part of the organizing Committee of Agexport´s Service Summit, a biannual congress and networking event to promote Guatemala´s outsourcing sector.
The ITC (International Trade Center, a joint organization of the United Nations and of the World Trade Organization) chose Spa-Med-Holiday as a case study in sustainable development for the outsourcing of services in developing countries.
Medical Tourism Guatemala was selected by the Business Initiative Directions (BID) as a candidate to receive the “International Arch of Europe Award”, a Quality Recognition Award honoring people and organizations that exemplify excellence.
In 2011 Spa-Med-Holiday a.k.a. Medical Tourism Guatemala has been nominated as part of the finalists to receive the National Exporter´s Award in the services´category for 2011.
Medical Tourism Guatemala –a.k.a. Spa-Med-Holiday- has also been mentioned in the following magazines and newsletters:
- “Medical Tourism Magazine”, special edition on the 1st World Medical Tourism Congress in San Francisco, The Rise of Global Healthcare from Latin America, Sept. 2008, (http://www.medicaltourismmag.com)
- “Mercados y Tendencias”, the most prestigious business magazine for Central America, special section on Medical Tourism, Nov. 2008, (www.revistamyt.com)
- “Revista Data Export”,a publication in Spanish by Agexport, Dec. 2008, (www.export.com.gt)
- “Les Nouvelles Esthetiques & Spa”, English, Dec 2008, (www.lneonline.com)
- “The Daily Mail” (U.K.), July 13, 2010, by TV-Presenter Jane Furnival: My cancer drug costs just £2 a day – so why did I have to get it from Guatemala?…